"Protected Page!" Error for Sony Readers

Need any kind of Tech support for the Sony eReader or the Sony Library Software? Need help using a LRF, BBeB, PDF or ePub file? Ask your questions here!

Postby Lilly » Mon Jan 11, 2010, 5:22 am   [Post 1]

I had this dreaded error with my PRS-505 when I checked out 5 library ebooks from Brooklyn library and Sony's official response to this issue is to make sure all of your DRM'ed content is only ePub or only PDF! ::)

If anyone else have a better solution to the one that Sony gave me, please post it here.
Do NOT contact me or any staff member via private message for support!
Lilly Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 1,960.00
Device: PRS950
Member Reputation: 28

Postby bremencole » Mon Jan 11, 2010, 9:00 am   [Post 2]

I, unfortunately, do not have a library system that supports ebooks. But it is my understanding that what you said is the only solution. You can use only one format (ebup or PDF) at a time. It is also my understanding that this is an Adobe problem, and not a Sony problem..........

Anyway, just be thankful you have a library system that is operating in the 21st century.
bremencole Offline

Cash on hand: Locked

Postby Lilly » Tue Jan 12, 2010, 4:52 am   [Post 3]

Also Syncing and Shutting Down your reader may give you the Protected Page Error and File Types error, there is a bug in the new PRS readers firmware that's causing this to happen. If one has BOTH PDF and ePub files on the PRS and Bookmarks on a book, then either Shutting Down or Syncing will cause a Protected Page error on the books with the Bookmarks.

Solution: Delete ALL PDF books from the Library on the PRS readers and on the Sony 3.1 Desktop Reader library software OR don't have any Bookmarks on any books when Shutting Down or Syncing.

How to get Rid of it: If you get the Protected Page error, just open another book and then the Protected Page book will become accessible with its Bookmarks deleted.
Do NOT contact me or any staff member via private message for support!
Lilly Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cash on hand: 1,960.00
Device: PRS950
Member Reputation: 28

Postby lissa1229 » Thu Jan 21, 2010, 9:04 pm   [Post 4]

I get this with my library (emedia) all the time. Its easy to fix, and after fixing it you can use diffrent/multiple formats.

I downloaded an eBook and transferred it to my Sony Reader. I was able to read it before, but now when I try to open it, Sony Reader shows a 'Protected Page' error message. What should I do?

This is a known issue with some Sony Readers, wherein if borrowed eBooks in one format are used on the Reader, then a borrowed eBook in an alternate format is transferred to the same Sony Reader, eBooks in the most recently transferred format will function while eBooks in the first format will show the 'Protected Page' error. To use the desired format, transfer a title in that format again. All borrowed titles in this most recently transferred format will be usable.

lissa1229 Offline

Cash on hand: 25.00
Member Reputation: 0

Postby jswolf » Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:49 am   [Post 5]

It has something to do with the time limited DRM used by Overdrive. That's why it's not a problem with the regular DRM as used by the online shops.
jswolf Offline

Cash on hand: 199.00

Postby kiasmama » Tue Feb 23, 2010, 10:03 pm   [Post 6]

I just got this today for the first time with the book Shutter Island-which I bought from the Sony Reader Store. I tried opening another book, then looked for SI (trick from above) but it was completely erased from the reader, or at least I could not find it....so had to reload it back onto the reader. I"m glad I took a glance at the page number last night. Had this happened if I wasn't by my computer...I might have been a bit ticked off.

Has there been any resolution? Or will this keep happening?
kiasmama Offline

Postby horus » Thu Mar 11, 2010, 3:35 pm   [Post 7]

I have got these error with book I make using Sigil (EPUB format). Someone told me it was due to the component files being too large (EPUBs are zipped up collections of other files.) This may not apply for the OP, but I feelt i should share with others mine own experiences with these error.
horus Offline

Postby jswolf » Fri Mar 12, 2010, 4:08 pm   [Post 8]

Lilly wrote:I had this dreaded error with my PRS-505 when I checked out 5 library ebooks from Brooklyn library and Sony's official response to this issue is to make sure all of your DRM'ed content is only ePub or only PDF! ::)

If anyone else have a better solution to the one that Sony gave me, please post it here.

You cannot have both ePub and PDF from Overdrive (with DRM) at the same time. Of course, there is a solution. Strip away the DRM and they'll work fine together.
jswolf Offline

Cash on hand: 199.00

Return to Tech Support