Export notes, highlighted passages

Need any kind of Tech support for the Sony eReader or the Sony Library Software? Need help using a LRF, BBeB, PDF or ePub file? Ask your questions here!

Export notes, highlighted passages

Postby wonderose » Fri Apr 29, 2011, 11:37 pm   [Post 1]

Your Sony Reader Version: PRS-650
Where are you located? Germany
What Library Software are you using: Sony Reader Library
Feel free to list them if using multiple softwares: + Calibre + ADE

What is the file extention in question (.pdf, .epub, etc): .pdf

Did you authorize your software and reader? If using ADE you MUST authorize (see Troubleshooting Database for directions)! No
Windows Operating System: XP
Name OTHER if applicable (i.e. Mac, Linux, etc):

What have you already tried to solve the problem?

Description and Message
1) Is there any possibility to export not only the highlighted parts but the whole text, i.e. a pdf file, with all the highlights and all the notes integrated?

The Reader Library does allow for the viewing of the text with all the marks, bookmarks and annotations. But they won't show up in Adobe Acrobat X, as they are saved separately as XML files. And unfortunately, there is still no support for exporting the notes via calibre. As a consequence, there is no way of doing a backup of the texts together with all the notes, not to mention a possibility of going on to work with the books and articles one has already read.

However, I have recently found out that it is possible to save documents with all the notes on your computer using Adobe Digital Editions. And yet this again is a dead end. From there no handing over to Acrobat X and even no printing of the notes seperately. One is stuck with ADE, which is for my needs far from comfortable (i.e. no highlighting, no copy and paste). But at least, with ADE, it is possible to create a backup copy on the desktop.

2) I have to say, furthermore, that I am not very happy with the way how notes and highlights are actually exported. I think the user needs to have some say in it, for instance he should be able to decide if he wants to have the data in each case to be accompanied by the exact date when the note was taken and the text highlighted or if he had rather not. And in addition to that, he should be the one to decide if the text and the corresponding notes begin with page 1 or rather with page 371 or page 71 (as might be the case for some articles).

3) In this respect, I have got another question - regarding page numbers of pdf files.

When I export my notes via Sony’s Reader Library I have to rely on the correct page numbers. This is rather important for citation purposes. Yet the Sony PRS-650 does not take into account the page numbers I assign to my documents using Acrobat X. Thus, an article on the reader would not start with the correct page 371, but with page 1. As a result, the page numbers appearing in the exported notes differ quite a lot from those in the original article. In contrast to Sony’s Reader Library, Adobe Digital Editions does, however, show the correct page numbers as well as all the notes I have taken. But to my great disappointment it wouldn’t allow me to export them, neither the text nor the notes.

The only solution seems to be to fill in blank pages with Acrobat X, to be exact: 370 of them. Or is there any other remedy you could think of?
wonderose Offline

Cash on hand: 29.00
Device: Prs-650
Member Reputation: 0

Return to Tech Support